Can you believe how quickly this year is just flying by? Winter still seems a long way off, but we are in the 8th month of the year already. Now is the time to think about freshening up your home for more enjoyment before the hectic holiday season ‘suddenly’ sets in, during those long winter months mostly spent indoors. Since painting is hard work, if you are a do-it-yourselfer, here are some tips to make the paint job last as long as possible:
1. Start by washing the walls with a mild soap–water solution.
2. Prime Stains with the appropriate primer.
- Water stains should be covered with an oil-based primer.
- Greasy or oily sts should be covered with a water-based primer.
3. Use a solution of about 1 cup of bleach in 1 pail of water to wash down mold mildew, scrub it down well wipe the area down with clean water.
Now is the ideal time to paint, because the warmer weather helps the paint dry faster, plus you can keep the windows open for ventilation. Paints have changed a lot over the years. There are now healthier alternatives that have lower or no VOCs (volatile organic components). These are now becoming more readily available through small companies like Mythic Paint larger paint manufacturers such as Benjamin Moore.
HB Building Design can also help you design complete custom paint jobs that give your home a unique look. Here is an example of a bathroom that Jane designed, using a custom paint job for a very affordable, high-end look.